Mission, Vision & Core Values
Trinity is an urban parish of 1,500 actively involved members who live in neighborhoods all over the greater Portland area. We are strongly committed to the worship of God in His Church, the nurturing Christian community and the sharing of His Gospel through work in the world. The parish is known in the broader community for its superb music, its broad educational program for all ages, its youth programming,and its developing outreach to the city and beyond. It is also home to the Trinity Bookstore. As it has been since its beginning in the pioneer days of the Oregon Trail, it is among the largest Episcopal parishes in the Pacific Northwest.
The parish of Trinity Episcopal Cathedral seeks to love and serve God, our people, the diocese and the larger world by:
- Worshiping through word, music, and action
- Nurturing spiritual growth in young and old
- Reaching out in the mutual support of our diverse congregation and community
- Being active witnesses to the peace and promise of Jesus Christ in the world.
Our shared view of what God wants us to become.
As the Episcopal Cathedral for Western Oregon, we will:
- Be a center for worship and education for our diocese, our congregation, and the broader community
- Encourage spiritual, intellectual, and artistic development
- Recognize the divine in each person in our midst
As a family of faith committed to our Baptismal Covenant, we will:
- Proclaim by word and example the Good News of God in Christ
- Seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving our neighbors as ourselves
- Strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being
As disciples of Jesus Christ, led by the Holy Spirit, we will:
- Listen for the heartbeat of God in all creation
- Face the future unafraid of change, recognizing that God’s plan is revealed to us in different ways in different times and places
- Be compassionate and accepting of all people, becoming a beacon of courageous, radiant love.
It is impossible to capture the individual character of each parishioner, yet each adds a distinctive flavor to the parish community. Yet, true to the friendly nature of Oregonians in general, parish members create an inviting environment that is open and welcoming to people of all ages, faith backgrounds, and lifestyles. We all share the common bond of worship.